Thursday, July 30, 2009

My big boy

Dear Grady.

I can't believe you are 4! You've grown up in the blink of an eye. You are such a character, and I don't think I could have ever forseen how much joy you would bring to our lives. I love all the funny little things about you, and there are lots of funny things about you. There's also sweet things and, well, strange things. That comes with every four year old boy though. I love how you've become cuddly in the past few months. You were never a big cuddle bug as a baby, and I am trying to remember to cherish it every time you nearly knock me over with a running-leap-hug. I know all too soon you won't want to hug me so much any more, if only out of sheer embarrassment.
It's hard not to giggle when you go from laughing
006 copyweb

to pouting in the blink of an eye.
008 copyweb

You've always been so intense. If you're up you're up, and if you're down, you are waaaaaay down. You're also a master negotiator. Your daddy and I always joke that you'll either be a very famous politician or a very successful used car salesman. Our favorite thing you've said recently was "ok, I understand the words you're telling me. I just don't like what you're saying" when we asked you for the 14th time to go to bed. Although, I think you'd prefer to be a break dancer. Which I secretly love.

Untitled-1 copyweb

You're also so so animated. You've got all these faces that you think are hilarious to make. My favorite is the one you've been throwing me when I try to take your picture since you were about 18 months old. You know the one....

051 copyweb

Yep. That's it. (Eat your hearts out girls)

There's so much that I could say about you. I love your little stutter, and it hurts me to think that mean kids have made fun of you for it. If they knew how smart you were they would hold their tongues.I love the way you still can't quite say your "L"'s, and how you love to wear "fwip-fwops", just like mommy.

028web


I love how your booty looks so cute in jeans, just like Daddy's. I hope when you're older you realize what a gift that is. Or, maybe for the sanity of your future spouse, I hope you don't! ;)

015 copyweb

And I love how you laughed like crazy when I told you to lift up your shirt in the middle of Ybor City so I could take a picture of your "cutie booty". I can still hear it, and it makes me grin.

I love love love how you already adore your friends. With reckless abandon. I am not sure their mommies love how you kiss them on the lips, but we're working on the whole "personal bubble" concept.

060 copy

However, if you want to keep kissing this little sweetie on the lips, and maybe, say, 20 years from now get married and then have a little rediculously cute grandbaby for me to lavish gifts on I won't complain. And no, her mommy and I have not discussed this. Why would you think that?!

Eva

You're such a great big brother, and it makes me proud every day to see you cheer Fin on as he learns new things. I am so glad you love each other so very much. I can't believe you're only a year away from kindergarten. I know you'll do well in school. Sometimes I wish I could slow down time, but then I think I don't want to, because I love the little person you are, and watching you learn, grow and change every day. Whatever you do, don't ever stop being you.

089 copyweb

13 comments:

stacey said...

This is such a beautiful tribute to Grady. Every picture made my heart swell and your words are so perfect. He is adorable (as is his future wife. ;) )

Anonymous said...

You have officially made this cold hearted woman cry. I love Monk so much and can never thank you and Chris enough for bringing this little man into our lives and for never trying to change his 'quirks'. I hope you print this 'love letter' to your son and keep it forever.
Love, Aunt Kaykee

Jennifer O'Donnell said...

WAHHHH! I'm all mushy and gooshy now.

Lindsey {Bella Grace Party Designs} said...

That was so sweet! And I don't mind him kissing my little girl on the lips. It makes my heart smile!
What a precious little person he is. I love him to pieces.

Terra said...

What a sweet letter! G I agree you are growing way fast but I love seeing how you change each day!

Cindy S. said...

So incredibly sweet :) Happy Birthday G!!

Becca said...

What a beautiful post, he will cherish it.

Anonymous said...

love love LOVE this! He is soooo handsome. I can't believe how big he has gotten.

Michele

Rebecca Gaier said...

what a sweet sweet letter! happy birthday G!!!!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

glad to know im not the only one who cried while reading that! that was beautiful courtney!!

KClavio said...

That's the sweetest thing I've ever read...and I know when G reads this in 20 years he'll give his mommy a big hug (even if it is embarrassing). The pictures are perfect, and "Gwady's butt-butt" gets full approval from the little girl sitting in my lap.

Jackie P said...

That gave me goose bumps...beautiful!!! We love you Grady..Happy B-Day!

Anonymous said...

I'm late in reading this Courtney but your words are perfect! It's the testiment of a mothers love for her son beautifully put into words. G is an amazing little boy! I hope that you do print and save this for him. One day it will likely be one of his most prized possesions.

Sasha